IN TEXAS, YOU CAN ONLY OBTAIN A MARRIAGE LICENSE THROUGH YOUR LOCAL COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE (see our map below).  Both parties must appear in person before the County Clerk in Texas to obtain a TEXAS marriage license; Submit the person's proof of identity and age; Provide the information applicable to that person for which space is provided. Mark the appropriate boxes provided in the application and take the oath printed on the application and sign before the Texas county clerk.
In some cases (depending on which county you are in)  you can contact a "Sub-Courthouse" near you, to obtain this license.  Call them first, you could get faster "walk in-walk out" service.  Then after ceremony, we sign it and it gets returned to the County Clerks office.  We will explain this process to you when we arrive for your wedding.


A formal marriage license, can be obtained from any county in Texas

There is a 72-hour waiting period on all marriages (after the marriage license, is issued before the marriage ceremony, can take place).  The 72-hour waiting period can be waived by meeting one of three criteria.

The waiting period does not apply if an applicant is a member of the armed forces (active military).  Military ID must be shown to the person who performs the marriage ceremony.

The waiting period does not apply if the applicant obtains a 72-hour waiver signed by a District Judge.  Waiver must be shown and kept by the person performing the ceremony,

The waiting period does not apply if Applicants possess a valid Two-gether in Texas Certificate (see more info below).  Certificate must be shown to the person who performs the ceremony. The marriage must take place within 90 days from the date of issuance--no exceptions.

If divorced in Texas, there is a 30-day waiting period after the divorce is final before remarriage--unless waived.  If the 30-day waiting period is waived, a certified copy must be presented at the time the marriage license, is purchased.

County Clerk, MARRIAGE LICENSE, FEES:The fee is $81.00 cash, Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover.  (Credit card use adds an additional 3% fee.) The fee is $11.00 for couples who attend the State of Texas approved Marriage Education Class and present a valid TWO-GETHER IN TEXAS Certificate.  For more information visit the Two-Gether in Texas website.  You can find a provider here:  Click this link -

Anyone can take this class as part of your community's public service.  You do not have to be part of a church or organization, or have it included as part of any Minister/Officiant Services.      This class is offered through your own community.  Contact your local county clerks office for more details.

Benefits of taking a premarital education include:
*Enhancing your communication and conflict resolution skills to enrich your relationship,
*Learning the key components of a successful marriage,
*Receiving a $60 discount on marriage license fees, and
*Waiver of the 3-day waiting period.

The eight-hour premarital class offered by instructors in your community may be available in a variety of formats including:

*One-day 8 hour classes,
*Weekend events, or
*Multi-week educational series.

In order to learn more about the qualifying marriage education opportunities in your area, simply click this link:  enter the ZIP code, City, or County in the "Search for Marriage Education Services" field on the left and click search.  When the page populates, simply scroll to the bottom and search “NO FEE” Providers.  Upon your successful completion of the premarital education class, they provider will issue you a certificate to present to the County Clerk to receive a $60 discount when you purchase your marriage license, Reducing your marriage license fee to only $21. 

Local County Clerk Offices - Click Markers for more information.

Absentee Affidavit Information.  If your partner is out of state and only one of you reside here, or are present here, you can file an absentee affidavit for the person who cannot be present.  This means you can "obtain your marriage license" without both parties being present as required by state law.  Under this law however, you both still must be present to have your marriage license signed by an Officiant or Minister.   You both must be present for the ceremony and license signing itself. The affidavit only allows you to obtain your license.  This includes military couples.